Sunday, October 17, 2010

Denmark here I come!

“Denmark?” Or more accurately “Denmark!?” followed by “why on earth would you want to move to Denmark? You don’t even speak Dutch!” Those were the typical responses I got from our friends in London when I announced to them our intention to move to Denmark. “It’s Danish, not Dutch,” I would respond. “And I do have a Danish partner you know, so the idea isn’t that crazy, is it?” Typically the next comment from my friend-turned-opponent at this point would be “isn’t it like freezing cold, dark and depressing most of the year there?” The answer to this one was obvious: “London isn’t exactly tropical…”

And so began our long journey of immigration to, and hopeful integration in the liquorice-eating, design-furniture-obsessed sky-high-taxes nation of Denmark. And why did we decide to suddenly leave our lives in London and head east (and slightly north…)? It wasn’t for career prospects, that’s for sure. No, ours was a decision driven by the old cliché: “it’s a great place to raise children”. And with a burst of boldness we decided to quit our jobs, pack our stuff and say goodbye to our life of almost a decade in London. Then again, we did the same thing about a decade ago when we left New York and moved to London, so it wasn’t completely outrageous. Only then we didn’t have a one-year-old daughter in tow…

So how does one prepare for such a move? Learn a little bit of the language in advance so that I can introduce myself and say where I’m from using the native language? Check. Read a little about the country to get a minimum level of understanding of their culture, history and peculiarities? Check. Visit the country enough times to get a good feel for it? BIG check (at least 15 times in the last 12 years, if you count Jutland…). Yes, I felt ready. And hopefully the experience of already living in three big cities around the world (OK, two and a half – Tel Aviv is admittedly not that big) and working in more than 15 other countries would prepare me for the culture shock that surely awaited me. But is Denmark ready for me?

A quick browse through expat websites conducted by yours truly revealed some doubts: “The Danes know only two kinds of foreigners – tourists and refugees. Anything in between they don’t quite know how to handle” read one posting by an international professional in Denmark. “If you’re considering moving to Denmark – don’t!” read another. “Denmark is a great place” started one promising comment, “if you like the Jante law…” (a lovely concept I was introduced to shortly after meeting my Danish partner, that I always considered an entertaining topsy-turvy view of the world, but which I thought was long gone from Danish society)

Some scary stuff there. Is it really that bad? After spending the last decade and a half as an ‘international urban dweller’ in cities like New York and London, am I in for a shock in Copenhagen? And this time it’s different – I’m not moving for studies or for a career. I’m not trying out yet another world city for the experience. I am actually immigrating, moving with an intention to settle down. Not a tourist, nor an expat, and definitely not a refugee, but a willing newcomer. Is there a place for me in Denmark as such?

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Oh well, I can’t let a few spoiled disgruntled expats detract from my resolve and enthusiasm about my potential future home – I am determined to give Denmark a shot, and I promise to share my experiences with you, warts and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment